Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's for Dinner?!?

So the kids went back to school today and I got off work early so I surprised them by picking them up before they could get on the bus to after school care. Now we're home and I've just realized that I didn't take anything out for dinner. And I'm STARVING.  So while checking email I came across a recipe for these Buttered Rosemary Rolls on The Pioneer Woman.


And maybe it's just because I'm starving or maybe it's because I have some of those frozen buns that she uses on hand but I absolutely, positively must make them.  Tonight.  Yummy!


Update:  I made these and they were AWESOME!  Will make again!

And while I'm being all experimental, I was thinking about making these grilled salt & vinegar potatoes too.

Update:  I made these last night but the whole family found them too "vinegary".  I think if I made them again I would boil them in just 1 cup of vinegar and fill the rest of the saucepan with water (instead of straight vinegar).  They were tasty but it was just a little too much.

If you know me, you know that I am terrified of our barbeques (both of them, gas and charcoal) and since the hubby is at work I am going to oven roast them instead.  I hope it works!  But it's easy and it looks good and it's encompasses three loves of my life - salt, vinegar, and potatoes so it's worth a shot.  I'll let you know how it turns out.


I just found a package of small portabella mushrooms in the fridge that I need to use up or get ready to throw out.  Guess I'll go for one more experimental recipe tonight.  

Update:  These were pure awesomeness.  Soooooo Good!

I figure that since I'll be roasting the potatoes anyway I might as well do these at the same time.  Now I'll go look for something in the meat family to complete the meal!

Good news!  I found some thin fast-fry pork chops in the freezer.  They're defrosting as I write this.  On the counter.  I know some of you are gasping that I would do such a thing but I haven't killed anyone yet.  They probably will still need to go into the microwave to defrost some more before I can cook them so calm down.  I'm going to fry the hell out of them with a little olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper.  My kids call them pork pucks.  They're delicious when they're all fried up.  My dad used to make them like that and we got to eat them with our fingers (they were too much of a pain to cut up, I'm sure). My kids love them and I love anything that gets eaten that fast, so it's all good.  

So there you have it folks, that's what's for dinner!  We experiment a lot with food and luckily, the kids are pretty good sports about it.  I'll let you know tomorrow how dinner went tonight.  I've pulled out salmon for tomorrow night and it's happily defrosting in the fridge...


No comments:

Post a Comment