Sunday, September 23, 2012

Stove Top Pot-Pourri


I love fall.  I love everything about fall, especially the cooling off that comes with it.  Yesterday was the first day of fall.  Obviously, Arizona never got the memo.  It was 106 degrees and the high today is 102.  Sheesh.  If I can't actually HAVE fall, then I'm going to pretend it's fall anyway.  I am going to bake with pumpkin and make the house smell like fall.  And I'll share the recipes with you guys.  Two birds with one stone.

I love the house smelling good.  I went to a baby shower a while back and when I walked in, the whole house smelled like baking.  Cinnamon and vanilla and just plain good.  When I asked the hostess what she had done, she pointed to a pot on the stove that was happily simmering away.  "Stove top pot-pourri," she said.  I vowed to do this in my own house as soon as possible.

It's not fall here yet, no matter what the calendar says, but it sure smells like someone is cooking up some good stuff in my kitchen.  I just add some more water when the water gets low.  If only I could get the temperature to cool down a bit outside, I'd be in heaven.






Stove Top Pot-Pourri
adapted from a recipe on phillyburbs.com

Ingredients:
1 - 4 quart pot
1 Whole lemon with peel-slices
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
2 Tablespoons Vanilla
3 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Teaspoons grated nutmeg
Water

Directions:
Add all ingredients to pot and cover with water, pot should be ¾ full. Simmer on low heat on the stovetop. Water will turn brown from the cinnamon sticks and eventually evaporate. Add more water as water level gets low.  Leave simmering for as long as you like.  This will continue to be fragrant for many hours and make your house smell wonderful.  (Realtors suggest people do this when trying to sell a house).




No comments:

Post a Comment