Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The secret to growing watermelons in Arizona

Late this spring, the kids and I planted a watermelon garden.  We live in Arizona so the summers are ridiculously hot and the ground really doesn't cooperate when it comes to growing a lot of things.  It seemed like forever but finally, small little green sprouts came up out of the garden.  We watered them and checked them almost every day.  Then it got hot.  REALLY hot and everything in my little greenhouse withered and died from the heat.  Even the things I moved out of the greeenhouse into the shade died.  Arizona summers are just too much for most living things.  Thanks, Mother Nature, for the reminder.

Then it came time for us to leave town on our family vacation.  I was about to wither and die as well so it was good timing.  For three weeks we were gone and no rain fell from the sky.  When we got back I was surprised to see that there was still signs of life in the watermelon garden.  Then the monsoon rains started.  If you're not familiar with this little phenomenon, let me tell you that you haven't lived until you have had hot rain fall from the sky while you watch your kids trampoline become airborne and land on the neighbors roof.... but I digress.  We've had an unseasonable amount of rainfall which has resulted in sticky conditions (not a dry heat at all), bloodthirsty mosquitoes that travel in gangs, and a very alive watermelon garden.

It's been over a week since we've had any rain and our temperatures are still over 100 degrees.  I started feeling guilty about the fact that the garden must be thirsty so I went out to give it a drink today.  When I got out there I realized that the garden has gone crazy and snaked it's way all over the yard.  It doesn't matter because the pool pump is the only thing in the same corner and I can tiptoe around that but it's seriously jungle-like out there.  I was giving the poor thirsty roots a drink when I noticed the first melon.

Isn't it cute?


Then I had to shock the pool and when I went to turn it on I found another one - nestled up to the pool pump.


And finally on the backside I found this one.  This one is the size of a newborn.


Who knew?  The key to growing watermelons in Arizona is to just leave them alone.  If you over water them they'll explode and then the birds and ants will have a feast (I did that three years ago).  So I will water once or twice a week, I guess, and keep ignoring them.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment